Dogomania

Lurcher

Encyclopedia

The Lurcher is hardly ever seen outside of Ireland, Great Britain, and America. Ther are never bred to a specific breed standar. It is still very common in its native islands. Originally, it was just a crossbreed consisting of Greyhound and either Collie or terrier blood. These days, breeders breed in a more organized way, Lurcher to Lurcher. It's bred for rabbit and hare coursing and is greatly increasing its popularity as a non-urban companion. Naturally, it will make the attempt to hunt and kill small game. The longhaired variety is sometimes confused with the rare American Staghound.

• 1 month later...

we have a rough coated lurcher who is also called Shaddow.
even though they were bred to course hares and rabbits it is not true that they will chase, hunt or kill small animals, as in all the 8 yrs we`ve had shaddow he`s never once done anything like that and in fact lives with 18 rabbits who during the day run free round the garden and shaddow just lays down with them and has never attempted to harm one hair on their little heads and he has never even chased them. He also lives with two cats and one of them sleeps with him. We also take him for long off the lead walks in the countryside where there are loads of rabbits etc..running wild he never chases then either!!
I have a friend who breeds Lurchers, he has 11 none of them chase and kill either! :D
I also know quite a few Lurcher owners theirs don`t chase and kill either.
All the Lurcher`s who i`ve ever come accross (which is many) don`t chase and kill and are very calm, laid back, loving, devoted, loyal dogs, ideal pets, excellent with childen even babies, other animals and are a wonderful addition to any family.
Obviously as in any breed, each dog has it`s own unique personality and therefore there will be Lurcher`s who chase etc, but that is the same with any dog and any breed and how there brought up. :D
PLEASE DON`T THINK I`M HAVING A GO AT YOU [color=blue]I`M NOT [/color]I JUST THOUGHT I`D LET YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW FROM HAVING EXPERIENCE WITH THE BREED AND OWNING ONE :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

[img]http://badger.mydogpages.net/artists/206/0/badgerandsky2.jpg[/img]

My two lurchers, Badger (black and white male) and Sky (blue and white female).
The most loving friendly dogs I have ever known :D
Both rescue dogs, Sky was previously used for hunting, and although many lurchers can be trained to live happily with cats, she is too keen. Badger is untested as of yet, we've only had him just over a fortnight.
I do know many lurchers (and greyhounds) that live happily with small furries, not all are as keen as Sky :wink:

Edited to add - forgot to say that they are both fabulous and very gentle with my 5 kids, 3 of which are baby triplets :)

[quote name='LisaLQ']They are very common in rescues in the UK and Ireland, overseas they're not seen as much. :)[/quote]

The occasional Lurcher is born in Sweden as well. It is just that nobody has the audacity to call them lurchers :-)
They are called mixes and nothing more.

We have no tradition of keeping lurchers and the lurcher is either completely unknown to folks, or they think it is a Deerhound cross.