Dogomania

Question Plz help!

Wolfy

I have a german shepard and I have to give him to the cops, yeah ok, But i cant figure out another dog to get, The problem is I live in Pennsylvania (Exton area) and I cant find any breeds i would like, like a schnauzer/gaint schnauzer i love this breed but i heard they good food all over them but are they good dogs? I'm 14 and I can not live without a dog, so can anyone suggest a good breed for me? and anyone know an good pet stores or breeders to goto?

First of all, why was u're GSD taken away from u?

What kind of dog are u looking for? Big/small lots of hair or short coated companion dog or sporting/working dog. How much time do u have to dedicate to this dog?

I wouldn't but from a pet store, u can never really tell where the puppies come from. and u can always try u're local shelter. :)

Ok, why is your dog getting taken away? It normally has to be pretty serious for a cop to step in. Think it over about getting another dog. It needs food & fresh water EVERY day. Dogs should never be kept outside 24/7. They need :
Groomed.
Walked daily.
Obedience training.
Shots, Rabies, + blood tests.
Spayed/Neutered.
Toys + Socialization.
And more.

Are you really dedicated to make sure your new dog will be happy and healthy?

If you want a dog. Go to the Humane Society. They normally have wonderful dogs. Or go to a breed rescue of the breed of your choice. Humane Societies and Rescues normally have their shots and stuff done before adoption, and spayed/neutered which actually saves you money and saves a life.

That's a good question....did the police take it because it was abused? Or did you give it to a police training center...my friend did that...I want to get this story straight before I give you some breed ideas.....if you want to find mixes in your area, you can go to Petfinder.com, though....pure breds are hard to come across there, plus they have their shots, they are usually neutered, and you can talk to the animal shelter about exercise needs and such....but, WHY was the dog taken away?! That dosn't happen EVERY day...the way you write it makes it sound normal to you, Wolfy

Ok ill try to sum up the whole story in a few words.. Kids threw stones and sticks at my dog, kid wont tell the truth, so one day kid comes out with a stick like as thick as a baseball bat like maybe 5 feet away purposely swinging the stick at my dog, my dog NIPPED him if my dog bit him he wouldnt be able to move his hand. he only had a minor cut where he nipped so the kids mom called a like shelter and told them then called a k9 cop place, so im giving the dog to the cops. Oye vay i hate apartments.. but yeah but the cop my dog would goto my mom knows well so i could see him every now and then..

so.. Im not home about 6:30am to 3:00pm so anyone got any advice a dog that could handle that.

Go volunteer at a shelter or rescue. It will look good on your college applications, you'll get to help some dogs that really need it and you will learn more about how to keep a dog responsibly.

How can you be sure the abuse from the other kids won't happen again? Also an apartment is too small for the large breeds you are looking at.

Wolfy, if you want to get a dog, if your relatives want too, then go and take the dog you like. 14 years is enough to choose any breed.
For what needs are you going to take the dog? Are you going to do agility, flyball or something else? Shnauzer needs a lot of excersize and it's a working dog, you should remember.
As for leaving the dog alone - many dogs can handle that if they have enough excersize.
After the occasion happened to your previous dog you HAVE TO pay much attention to obedience and socialization.
But you should think carefully before taking a dog. Will you smile seeing a mess in your home and say: "pretty dog"? Will you wake up at 3 am to go for a walk with your puppy? Will you spend all your and your family's money to cure your dog when it's ill? Will you feel good seeing your pup pooing on your new carpet, chewing the furniture? If yes, then you're able to grow up a healhy, obedient dog without any serious behaviourial problems.

Guest Anonymous

I am sorry but I really dont like the situation.
I understand SOME 14 year olds are ready to own dogs but it really doesnt sound like you should have one. Not all 14 year olds are responsible enough to even share ownership with their parents. Why did your dog even have the chance to bite this kid? How often was he left alone unsupervised? What makes you think the same thing wont happen with the next dog? And if it does what will happen? Just let the cops take him too and then go get another dog?
There are different levels of maturity at 14 and you just dont seem to have the level of maturity it takes to own a dog. Wanting one isnt enough.

I'm 14 and I own my own dog (he was the families and he was given to me since I do everything including paying vet bills, buying food, walking him, etc.) I have a very open schedule...I am homeschooled, so I'm not in class from 8am till 3 pm. I am able to walk him when he needs to be walked, I am able to clean up after him when he has an accident in the house, and what my parents thought was strange was that I did it without getting mad at my dog. I see most other 14 yr old who own a dog (my half sister is 17, but doesn't think like most when it comes to this) and they haven't even thought about what they are going to do with their dog when they go to college...what would you do with a new dog in 4 years, wolfy? I have this planned out. My sister thinks she will leave him at our house and take off, but my parents wont let her. She has a BIG St. Bernard that is destructive and doesn't get enough attention. Besides, my 5 yr old sister wont understand that in four years, my sister is taking it back. If I had a schedule like yours, Wolfy, I wouldn't get a dog. It is such a large responsibility for a 14 year old who is home all day, let alone one who is not. Did I word that right? Maybe a cat...they are quite independent. If I was the owner of your dog and that happend, I know for sure that I sould have fought long and hard to keep that dog. Even if that meant paying to have that kid take a lie detector test or something. That;s just my oppinion, thought. You make the fact that you had to give your dog up sound almost normal.

i just think that if u are getting a dog..just think it over and make sure it will be getting : food,water,excercise,love,caring,grooming etc..
im not saying you shouldnt get another dog,
but you should do some research on a breed that will suit you, you home etc.
also, i would get it from a shelter..not a petstore or a breeder.

Guest Anonymous

i would really re consider this. i dont think it would be a good idea for youto jump in to another dog right away. did i read that right when you said your sister has a st. bernard that lives with you...?? in AN APARTMENT??? i really think you should just take a break. like the others said, an apt is not a good place for a big dog, and how do you know that the other kids would not tease your new dog? please re-consider.. maybe try a fish. or a cat...

No, not in an apartment...on a few acres...they also have two Japenese Akitas and a few cats...but the St. Bernard is hers and she has school, work and gymnastics almost everyday. I would not recomend that anyone own a dog if they are away from home and unable to give the dog attention very often...especially not a large dog...She is actually my half sister and she lives with her mother. The dog had an anal glad infection that had gotten so bad and so irretated that the dog chewed all of the fur off of his rump and backside and she didn't take him to the vet. If my father (we have the same dad) had any say in her owning the dog, it would not have happend. She would not even own a dog.

• 4 weeks later...